Monday, May 27, 2013

Sign Language Isn’t Only for the Deaf, Part V: Learning Sign Language


Note: As previously mentioned in my blogs from September 2011 and February 2013, Big D for Deaf refers to people who identify themselves as culturally deaf. They will have a strong Deaf identity, attend schools for the Deaf, and mainly associate with other members of the Deaf community. Small d for deaf refers to the condition as well as to deaf people who identify more with the hearing or mainstream, and regard their hearing loss only in medical, not cultural, terms. (From deafness.about.com)

People suddenly stricken with a voice affliction may not want to immediately learn sign language. They may be overwhelmed by the dysfunction or loss of their voice, and the idea of learning a new language may be the last thing on their mind. Like learning any foreign language, it requires time and practice. But, learning sign language is fun and great medicine too. After struggling for decades to be understood with an undiagnosed voice disorder, I was thrilled to be able to learn a means of communication that didn’t rely on my voice.

Some people learn home or made up signs (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_sign) and study sign systems like SEE signs (Signing Exact English). These are not part of an official language that will enable you to communicate with others. So, if you’re going to make the effort, you should study the recognized sign language for your native tongue. ASL (American Sign Language) is used in the U.S. Variations of it are also used worldwide as well as in Austria, Canada, Germany, Finland, Malaysia and Norway. Since I am an American whose native tongue is English, I’ll focus on ASL. Here are my suggestions on how to get started.

The first thing you need is a good ASL dictionary. I began my studies with “The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary” published by Gallaudet University Press. It is organized by the hand shapes that form signs, and not by English words in alphabetical order. I bought it at a used bookstore and it’s been an invaluable part of my learning experience. Of course, there is a vast selection to choose from and something else may better suit you. So, browse your local bookstore’s language section or go online to see what you prefer.

Any good ASL dictionary will include a chart of the ASL alphabet. Learn this first. I used to practice the ASL alphabet when I was walking around town. Since I’m right-handed, I began with that hand and then I learned it with my left. Once you feel comfortable, practice spelling out your name so that you will be able to introduce yourself in ASL. The first sentence I learned was, “Hello, my name is Iris.” In ASL, this is “Hello, my name Iris.” The word “is” is not used.

While you are doing this, you may be interested in looking at http://www.babysignlanguage.com/chart/. This site shows elementary signs and how to practice them. You can print out their chart and put it on the refrigerator or a spot where it will be frequently seen by your family and friends. Or, you may want to purchase their flash cards and carry them around to help you and those around you learn.

Once you feel ready to move onto a more in-depth study, a wonderful site is at http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/m/momdad.htm. It provides 100 basic signs, along with a video that demonstrates each one. This makes it easy because you don’t have to figure out which signs to learn. There’s no guesswork involved, just practice.

As your signing grows, you’ll want to visit other sites like ASL Pro at http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi to develop your skills and better understand how to correctly make the signs. This particular site has thousands of words and phrases. Like many of the other online tutorials, ASL Pro has a video demonstration for each of its signs.

In the past it was almost impossible for many hearing parents to learn sign language, but today there are many free tutorials online that make it convenient. For example, if you live in northern California, you can register at www.csdeagles.com/outreach/vp1.php. This is provided through the California School for the Deaf, featuring twelve weeks of 30-minute classes. If you’re new at this and don’t know anyone who is deaf, you may want to begin by contacting your local school for the deaf. It’s another great place to start.

My guess is that once you begin signing, you’ll get hooked. Starting with books and online classes is fine, but the point of learning any language is to share our thoughts and ideas with others. So, please try to get out and take a class or find a friend or partner who will sign with you on a regular basis.

I chose to learn ASL by attending a two-year program at a local community college. Except for my first instructor who was a CODA (child of deaf adults) and only used her voice during my first class, all of my teachers were Deaf and there was no speaking allowed. This not only taught me the language properly, but it immediately gave me a better insight into the world of the Deaf and their culture – something we learn in the study of any foreign tongue.

If you attend a sign language class, you will also become informed of Deaf events. I urge you to attend as many of these as possible. This is where you will discover a new world, get to share ASL with others, and hone your signing skills. Some people you meet at these events will be hearing, but most will be d/Deaf. Given this opportunity, you will quickly see that, whether your signing skills are good or not, you will be appreciated for your efforts and what comes from inside.

In concluding this series, I hope you will seriously consider learning sign language. The moment I began to learn ASL I felt empowered. Over time, as my skills improved, it opened doors for me that had been closed most of my life. It gave me meaningful work and a confidence in expressing myself that I felt robbed of due to my speech disability. Perhaps, though, the most important thing about learning ASL for me is that it confirmed what I believed to be true when I was barely twelve years old and lost my ability to speak. It taught me that sign language isn’t only for the deaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment